Monday, August 31, 2009

Weakness

I was distressed at my want of courage, and Soeur Therese said to me:
"You are complaining of what should be your greatest happiness. If you
fought only when you felt eagerness, where would be your merit? What
does it matter, even if you are devoid of courage, provided you act as
though you possessed it? If you feel too lazy to pick up a bit of
thread, and yet do so for love of Jesus, you acquire more merit than
for a much nobler action done in a moment of fervor. Instead of
grieving, be glad that, by allowing you to feel your own weakness, Our
Lord is furnishing you with an opportunity of saving a greater number
of souls."
St. Therese: The Little Flower

6 comments:

Just Be Real said...

Precious Linda, thank you for sharing this quote from St. Therese. I am right there with you with the courage bit. So many times I wish I had more, then I try and put my life into perspective to see how much I have grown.

Very timely post dear, thank you again.

Anne said...

Thank you for these quotes from St. Therese. I can't think of anyone who would deserve the title of Doctor of the church better than her! Her words are so soothing, like the balmy ointment of a physician!

Linda said...

I too feel the spirit of St. Therese leading me through life. It has always been the little way. I have never done anything great. All in hidden ways that no one would notice. I have come so far in life taking baby steps. I find myself still saying, "When I grow up.... I want to be......." and I am now 47 years old. lol.
But I can say that I have grown spiritually over the last few years, I still see in me where I lack, but still God tells me it is in my weakness that he will be strong. So here is to our weaknesses!

Hugs my friends!

Mary N. said...

Linda,
I read your post and the passage,
" My strength is made perfect in weakness" came immediately into my mind. Then I read your comment and saw that the same thing went through your mind. I guess we are on the same wavelength:) The Holy Spirit likes to confirm things!

Just Be Real said...

Amen, to growing spiritually Linda! Blessings....

Unknown said...

Awesome Linda. St. Therese is very special to me...

My oldest sister is name Therese, after the saint.

When I visited venice and saw a statue of this beloved saint, I had a spiritual experience that I will never forget.

Thanks so much for rekiddling that memory, friend.
Hugs,
Sue